The state-controlled Herald newspaper said two children have been crushed to death in the course of the state crackdown on unauthorized housing. One-and-a-half year-old Terence Munyaka died Sunday from head injuries sustained when pieces of his family’s home in Chitungwiza fell on him. And as Studio 7 reported earlier this month, a two-year-old girl died June 8 in Tafara, also during a police home-demolition operation. The newspaper quoted a police spokesman as saying greater care should be taken when leveling illegal structures.
Meanwhile, two deaths from exposure were reported in Mutare. Many families in the high-density Mutare suburb of Sakubva were spending winter nights outside following the destruction of their shantytown homes. A young mother was said to have died Wednesday night exposure to the low temperatures, while a 10-year-old girl succumbed to the elements last week, sources told Studio 7.
Sydney Sithole reported for VOA’s Studio 7 for ZImbabwe on the plight of the thousands of displaced Zimbabweans in and around Mutare.