Attacks on foreigners continued on Tuesday in South Africa, adding to the fear among Zimbabweans living in the country that another round of xenophobic violence like that seen in May 2008 may be in the offing.
News reports said a Ghanaian man was shot to death in Western Cape province. This has sent thousands of Zimbabweans fleeing to Johannesburg or home to Zimbabwe. A Somali died three days ago following violence, and a Zimbabwean man was thrown out of a moving train in cape town last week.
Zimbabwe Exiles Forum Executive Director Gabriel Shumba told VOA Studio 7 reporter Patience Rusere that what some officials recently dismissed as no more than rumors are now coming to be.
South Africa's Ministry of Intelligence Services said it does not believe the latest disturbances are motivated by xenophobia, but are the work of criminals. Ministry spokesman Brian Dube said that although it is not clear that xenophobia is on the rise, security has been boosted across the county.