Accessibility links

Breaking News

Zimbabwe Police Arrest Suspended Prosecutor General

Johannes Tomana has been arrested.

Suspended Prosecutor General Johannes Tomana was arrested today as he was leaving the Harare Magistrates Court where he was appearing on charges of criminal abuse of office as a public officer.

At the same time, a group of anti-government protestors who were arrested on Wednesday were arraigned before the courts on allegations of public violence.

The prosecutor general was arrested by officers from the Law and Order Section.

Before his arrest, magistrate Vakayi Chikwekwe had recused himself in a matter in which the suspended prosecutor general is being accused of criminally abusing his office when he released suspects, who allegedly plotted to bomb Gushungo Dairies, a multi-million dollar business venture owned by President Robert Mugabe’s family.

Report on Johannes Tomana Arrest Filed By Thomas Chiripasi
please wait

No media source currently available

0:00 0:03:41 0:00
Direct link

Tomana’s attorney, Advocate Thabani Mpofu, confirmed the magistrate’s recusal and his client’s subsequent arrest.

At the time of going to air, Mpofu was still attending to Tomana at the Harare Central Police Station and could not confirm the fresh charges the police have preferred against the suspended prosecutor general.

Police spokesperson Senior Assistant Commissioner Charity Charamba said she was yet to be briefed on the latest development.

Meanwhile, 24 anti-government protestors, who were arrested in Harare’s Marimba and Mufakose high density suburbs during the national job stay-away held on Wednesday, were arraigned before a Mbare magistrate facing charges of public violence. They were ordered to return to court for the determination of their bail application.

At the same time, magistrate Chikwekwe granted bail to 104 protestors facing public violence charges who were arrested in Mabvuku and Epworth while demonstrating against increased police road-blocks. Among them are four minor children who were released into the custody of their parents.

One of the defense lawyers, Obey Shava, confirmed this development.

Shava said even though his clients were granted bail, they cannot raise a total of $10,000 that is required before they are released.

In a related development, social media is awash with messages calling for a march to State House tomorrow. Police are still maintaining a heavy presence in the capital following Wednesday’s nationwide stay-away.