Accessibility links

Breaking News

Shamva Gold Mine Worker Dies of Suspected Toxic Gas Inhalation

Many mine workers in the country die from poisonous gas inhalation.

A Shamva Gold Mine worker died Sunday morning while two of his workmates are in serious condition following a suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.

Sources say the miner, whose name has not yet been confirmed and was the morning shift leader, went into the tunnel after they had blasted rocks and ventilated the work area by spraying water.

But they suspect that there still were pockets of the poisonous gas that he may have inhaled resulting in him losing consciousness. The other two workers are said to have followed him when he took long to return.

Another worker, Skinda Mwamba says workers at the mine are exposed to dangers because the company is failing to provide them with protective clothing, adding the mine is also failing to adhere to recommended safety measures.

please wait

No media source currently available

0:00 0:01:46 0:00
Direct link

Shamva Gold Mine is currently owned by Metallon Gold Zimbabwe.

The accident comes barely a year after another poisonous gas exposure in a disused South African mine that killed more than twenty Zimbabweans.

Studio 7 tried to talk to the mine human resources manager a Mr. Madhume but he was said to be on another line.

We also failed to reach workers’ committee chairman Mr. Gedion Chirwa but he was not reachable.

Funeral arrangements are still underway.