Daily News reporter Xolisani Ncube was reported to have been attacked last week outside the headquarters of the Movement for Democratic Change of Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai
Media watchdog Reporters Without Borders has welcomed the return of Zimbabwe's formerly banned Daily News newspaper, but expressed concern following reports that a Daily News journalist was attacked outside the offices of a political party.
Daily News reporter Xolisani Ncube was reported to have been attacked last week outside the headquarters of the Movement for Democratic Change of Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai while conducting interviews.
Reports said Ncube was attacked by MDC supporters, one of whom hit him in the face, and his digital camera was stolen.
Reporters Without Borders said the attack last week came a fortnight after an incident in which MDC press staff ejected freelance journalist Nkosana Dhlamini from a Tsvangirai news conference because his questions were deemed to be hostile and tilted toward the ZANU-PF party of President Robert Mugabe.
The group urged all parties to promote media freedom and let journalists do their jobs.
Deputy Chairman Njabulo Ncube of the Media Institute of Southern Africa’s Zimbabwe chapter told reporter Sandra Nyaira that no party has the right to abuse journalists.
Elsewhere, another independent daily newspaper launched in Harare Thursday with the publication of a limited edition of the Mail. Daily publication will begin next week.
Mail Editor Barnabas Thondlana told VOA Studio 7 reporter Ntungamili Nkomo that his newspaper is owned by a consortium of businessmen, and promised that his publication will report news that Zimbabweans want to read about.