Humanitarian agencies say they need at least $131 million to address Zimbabwe’s most urgent, humanitarian needs.
The United Nations launched Monday’s appeal for aid which is only about half of what was requested last year.
In remarks to officially launch the appeal, United Nations Resident Coordinator Alain Noudehou said less is needed this year because Zimbabwe’s humanitarian situation has improved.
Mr. Noudehou said about 80 percent of the requested $131 million will go to food security while the rest will go to the health, protection, water sanitation and hygiene clusters.
Humanitarian agencies are also working with the department of civil protection unity, which responds to disasters.
Noudehou said the plainly named Zimbabwe humanitarian gaps 2013 appeal will increase the emergency response fund from $1.4 million to $5 million.
Regional Integration and International Co-operation permanent secretary, Tadeous Chifamba, commended the humanitarian agencies for providing humanitarian assistance but pointed out there is need to shift assistance to Zimbabwe away from the humanitarian relief work to longer-term, sustainable developmental support.
He went on to warn humanitarian organizations that they should not meddle in Zimbabwean politics.
Norwegian Ambassador Ingebjorg Stofring joined Chifamba to urge non-governmental organisations to be professional and neutral.
Last year’s humanitarian appeal for Zimbabwe requested $240 million. About 83 percent of that was received. It was the most successful humanitarian appeal globally in 2012.