Harare City Council Health Director, Prosper Chonzi, is urging residents to practice proper hygiene to avoid contracting typhoid, which has resurfaced in Glenview and Budiriro suburbs.
Chonzi told VOA Studio 7 so far about four people are suspected to have contracted the disease, amid fears that it may kill residents like cholera that left 4,000 people dead few years ago.
Chonzi said his council is making efforts to ensure that sporadic cases of typhoid do not result in an outbreak.
"We are carrying out awareness programmes concentrated in the Budiriro and Glenview suburbs where we have identified some cases but we urge the public to be hygienic and boil their drinking water as well as avoid buying food from unregistered vendors," said Chonzi.
Chonzi noted that those that may suspect they have typhoid should go to their nearest clinic or hospital so that they can receive early treatment.
He said people should look out for typhoid symptoms, which include high fever, headache, constipation or diarrhea, amongst others.
Typhoid fever is a bacterial disease caused by Salmonella typhi. The disease is transmitted through the ingestion of food or water contaminated with human waste from an infected person.