WASHINGTON DC —
The much-awaited Labour Court judgement on a case in which the National Railways of Zimbabwe (NRZ) took its striking workers to court to justify why they went on strike is finally out.
The NRZ approached the courts seeking a show cause order and judge Evangelista Kabasa reserved her judgement on the matter this week. Four weeks ago, 942 NRZ workers downed tools to force management to pay them outstanding salaries backdating to 2015.
Two weeks ago Labour Minister Prisca Mupfumira ordered the more than 4,000 striking NRZ workers to return to work pending the determination of their case.
Some workers heeded the call and have since gone back to work while others continued with the industrial action.
The NRZ workers’ attorney, Munyaradzi Gwisai, said, “The judgement was handed down yesterday (Tuesday). The effect of the judgement is that he show cause order that had been done by the Minister of Labour Ms. (Priscah) Mupfumira instructing the workers to go back to work was held to be invalid.”
Meanwhile, International Labour Organisation regional representatives arrived in Zimbabwe from Pretoria on Wednesday for a meeting with the Zimbabwe Congress of Trade Unions (ZCTU) over the NRZ issue.
Two weeks ago ZCTU approached ILO to force the government to intervene in the NRZ impasse.
ZCTU secretary general Japhet Moyo said they are meeting with both the local and regional ILO representatives Thursday in Harare.