Accessibility links

Court Reserves Judgement on Chitungwiza Strike

  • Jonga Kandemiiri

A Harare Labour Court on Wednesday reserved judgment in a case filed by the Chitungwiza Town Council seeking a disposal order to fire its workers, who participated in the just-ended five-day strike that crippled the satellite town.

Workers’ spokesman Ephraim Katsina says the judge instead looked at two show cause orders that were issued by the government, one signed by Health Minister David Parirenyatwa last week, and the other said to have been written by Labour Minister Nicholas Goche on Tuesday but bearing a July 10th date.

Katsina says the decision by the judge to reserve judgment works in their favour because they heard from council sources that the local authority wants to fire over 400 workers who took part in the strike.

Mayor Philip Mutoti was not available for comment as he was said to be in a meeting at the time VOA Studio 7.

Chitungwiza workers are owed over $11 million in unpaid salaries and allowances.

Meanwhile, the Progressive Teachers Union of Zimbabwe secretary-general, Raymond Majongwe, says he was Wednesday summoned by the Police Internal Security and Intelligence (PISI) following a request the union made seeking permission to demonstrate against Closed Circuit Television cameras at Girls’ High School in Harare.

Majongwe says they had requested permission to demonstrate arguing that the cameras infringe on teachers’ rights.

He says the meeting was attended by the school’s headmaster, parents' representatives and detectives from the Law and Order Section.

There was no official comment from the police and school authorities.

But Majongwe says they would await police proposals on the issue.this meeting.