WASHINGTON DC —
The mop up exercise to conclude Zimbabwe’s national population census ended Friday with some people still claiming they have not been counted.
Enumerators were redeployed to some areas after the counting official ended last month following an outcry by hundreds of households.
The census took off on a shaky start August 17 amid meddling by soldiers, Central Intelligence Organization operatives and suspected Zanu PF functionaries who were threatened to take over the process.
Problems mounted during the counting phase as enumerators ran out of data collection material and some people claimed that they were being counted by officers who did not clearly understand local languages.
Some Zimbabwe National Statistics Agency workers also claimed they were left out of the process as top agency officials employed their girlfriends, relatives and colleagues.
Some analysts accused Zanu PF of trying to hijack the process in order to rig the next crucial general election.
Despite all the problems, Zimstats director Mutasa Dzinotizei told Studio 7 the process went well.
“We are expecting the results before the end of the year. We are curently collating the data,” he said.
Spokesman Nhlanhla Dube of the Movement for Democratic Change faction of Industry Minister Welshman Ncube, is one of the people who were still left uncounted Friday.
Dube said his party is collecting the names of people in a similar situation in order to file a class action. “We know of a lot of people who were left out,” he said.